Re: emacs-22.1 under kubuntu 6.06

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: emacs-22.1 under kubuntu 6.06
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 10:38:25 +0200

Am 12.08.2007 um 03:47 schrieb Giorgos Keramidas:

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 02:46:50 -0700, stephan.zimmer wrote:
Dear all,

I just downloaded emacs-22.1 and build it (by hand) under kubuntu
6.06. Everything works fine, except that the menus of emacs look quite
ugly (like the menus of application using a very old X-version);
furhtermore the menubar has a black background color. Does anyone know
how to avoid this?

You have probably built Emacs without Lucid widgets. Emacs 22 can build
with GTK+ widgets too, but you will have to run the `configure' script
with the option `--with-gtk' or with the option `--with-x- toolkit=gtk'.

According to my experience GTK+ is now preferred over Athena/Lucid or Motif. It's just necessary that all the necessary development packages are installed, which is not the regular case in Linux. Configure's output shows when it fails, and config.log will explain why.

--
Greetings

  Pete

The mathematician who pursues his studies without clear views of this matter, must often have the uncomfortable feeling that his paper and pencil surpass him in intelligence.
                                           Ernst Mach