how can I find out the emacs version?

From: Tamas Papp
Subject: how can I find out the emacs version?
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 15:01:21 +0200

Hi,

I would like to find out the version number of my emacs -- I want to
make the font choice in .emacs conditional on whether the version is
smaller than 23 (because from 23, it supports TrueType fonts with xft).

I found emacs-version, but that returns a string.  Do you I have to
parse this for the version _number_, or is there another way?

Thanks,

Tamas