Re: recommended font for emacs xft

From: Marc Schwartz
Subject: Re: recommended font for emacs xft
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 09:54:31 -0500

Tamas Papp <tkpapp@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am happy using the alpha version of Emacs23 with the xft extension.
> However, I could not find a font that is just "right": Monospace-11
> looks very "weak".  I am looking for something not to tall (number of
> horizontal lines is important so I can fit more code on a screen).
> set-default-font snippets are welcome.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tamas

Hi Tamas,

I have used:

  1. Bitstream Vera Sans Mono

  2. Liberation Mono

  3. DejaVu Sans Mono

They are pretty interchangeable for the most part, but there will be
some subtle differences in some font lock modes. I use a height
setting of 120 in my .emacs. There are sizes, at least for me wearing
bifocals at age 49, where any font is too small, so personal preference and
visual acuity may impact upon how small you can go.

Try them and see what you prefer.

They look great in R/ESS with 23 as well.  Here is a quick screen grab
of 23, using ECB/psvn.el while editing .r and .rnw files:

  http://home.comcast.net/~marc_schwartz/Emacs23.png

HTH,

Marc Schwartz