Re: Frames: selectively enabling GUI

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Frames: selectively enabling GUI
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 21:33:52 +0200

jadamson@partners.org (Joel J. Adamson) writes:

Hi Joel,

> I just don't know where to go from make-variable-frame-local --- can I
> even make a mode frame-local?  What's the relationship between a mode
> and a variable?

Most of the time a variable indicates if a mode is active, but in
general setting the variable won't toggle the mode.

> Has anyone found a way to do this already?

`M-x apropos RET scroll-bar RET' pointed me to

,----[ C-h f toggle-scroll-bar RET ]
| toggle-scroll-bar is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
| `scroll-bar.el'.
| (toggle-scroll-bar ARG)
|
| Toggle whether or not the selected frame has vertical scroll bars.
| With arg, turn vertical scroll bars on if and only if arg is positive.
| The variable `scroll-bar-mode' controls which side the scroll bars are
| on when they are turned on; if it is nil, they go on the left.
`----

That's exactly what you're looking for. :-)

Bye,
Tassilo
--
My work on  free software is motivated by  an idealistic goal: spreading
freedom and  cooperation. I want  to encourage free software  to spread,