Re: finding the face of a popup

From: Allan Gottlieb
Subject: Re: finding the face of a popup
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 21:49:40 -0400

At Tue, 28 Aug 2007 22:40:51 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu>
>> Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 10:25:19 -0400
>>
>> > ,----[ C-h f list-faces-display RET ]
>>
>> I don't see how either of these would help (I have used both before).
>>
>> I can't "put point on the face" since the popup goes away when I am
>> not on the place that *triggers* the popup.  That is the entire
>> problem.
>
> How about if you suggest a user interface for solving the problem you
> had, and we then try to see if a similar interface is already part of
> Emacs?  Because, frankly, I have no idea what kind of feature you
> expect to have at your disposal to point to something that disappears
> into the void as soon as you move the mouse.
>
> Fair enough?

Sure.  At the time the popup occurs you know where the mouse was.
Move point to that place and type
  C-u C-x =
You currently get a great deal of info, but not the name of the face
of the popup that is triggered by having the mouse over that field.

allan

(PS Thanks for you numerous contributions to this group)