Re: deleting minibuffer

From: Nikola Skoric
Subject: Re: deleting minibuffer
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 16:42:55 +0000 (UTC)

Dana Wed, 29 Aug 2007 17:04:39 +0200,
Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.uu.nl> kaze:

>>NS> Hi there everybody :-) I'm a brand new emacs user, and I'd like to get
>>NS> rid of some of some minibuffers that I generate (for instance
>>NS> *Completions* minibuffer) and then the y get in my way when I do the
>>NS> C-x -> thing. When I do C-x 0, I get "Attempt to delete minibuffer...".
>>NS> Why is attempting to delete minibuffer wrong?
>
> *Completions* is not a minibuffer. The minibuffer is on the bottom of the
> frame (window) and is usually only one line high. It is used for additional
> input to commands, e.g. file names. Without minibuffer Emacs cannot
> function properly. However, the *Completions* can be deleted without
> problems. I don't know what you mean with the C-x -> thing.

When I have more than one buffer opened, then I go to next buffer with C-x, and
then right arrow. If I have, say, 2 buffers opened, and then use completion, a
3. buffer gets opened. If I go to that buffer, and press C-x 0, I get "Attempt
to delete minibuffer or sole ordinary window". How do I get rid of that buffer?

>>NS> Second thing is: how do I force emacs to break lines for me? When I write
>>NS> news posts, I want my lines to be less than 70 chars. Is there a way to
>>NS> force emacs to break my lines for me?
>
> menu: Options -> Word wrap in text modes. Don't forget to select Options ->
> Save Options if you want to keep it the same for fututre Emacs sessions.
> The value 70 can be set by customizing fill-column. Use Options ->
> Customize Emacs -> Specific Options and specify fill-column in the
> minibuffer.
> You can then fill in the value 70 in the dialog window and save it for
> future session with the appropriate button.

Thank you very much! :-)

--
"Now the storm has passed over me
I'm left to drift on a dead calm sea