rmail: summary sort

From: Xavier Maillard
Subject: rmail: summary sort
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 07:25:04 +0200

Hey,

I think I have misunderstood something in the manual[1].

Quoting it:

"The Rmail sort commands perform a stable sort: if there is no
reason to prefer either one of two messages, their order remains
unchanged. You can use this to sort by more than one criterion.
For example, if you use rmail-sort-by-date and then
rmail-sort-by-author, messages from the same author appear in
order by date."

I tried to do this but, either the manual is wrong or me but the
summary is just not sorted like it says.

Doing this, there is only one sort taken into account, that is to
say, my summary is sorted according to date and only to date. So,
how do you really sort by author plus date ? More general
request: is there a mechanism to setup rmail (variable, hook or
anything like this) such a way it keeps memory of how I want my
summary to be sorted ?

Regards,