Re: software synthesiser for emacspeak

From: Robert D. Crawford
Subject: Re: software synthesiser for emacspeak
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 09:59:50 -0500

Adams <pawlaczus@yahoo.com> writes:

> I'm trying to choose the software synthesiser for emacspeak.
> I would like it to have the following features:
> 1. Sound clear
> 2. Easy to install and upgrade

There is a lot of information on the emacspeak mailing list, the info
documentation, and the directory hierarchy  concerning the installation
and set-up of the various speech servers.  These are the first places I
would look

> I have the following synthesisers installed on my system:
> 1. festival with mbrola support
> 2. flite
> 3. eflite

1 is not widely used, if at all.  I have not seen anything on the list
concerning festival in a very long time.  flite is used by many and is
supported via eflite.  I am not sure how you were able to use eflite
without emacspeak.  Not saying it is not possible, I just don't
understand how.

> Festival sounds best for me, eflite the worst, flite is quite good.
> Unfortunately I couldn't find the clear documentation on how to launch
> them with emacspeak.

If, after checking the emacspeak archive, and the other documentation
mentioned above, you still have questions, post your questions to the
emacspeak mailing list.  You might want to subscribe to the list even
when you find the answers as there is good information to be found
there.

You did not mention the distro you use.  I am not sure how others set
things up, but if you are working from debian and install emacspeak and
eflite together it will ask you a few questions and set things up to
work for you.

rdc
--
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@comcast.net

You will give someone a piece of your mind, which you can ill afford.