Re: installed 22.1-0ubuntu4~feisty1, should i remove /etc/emacs21/site-s

From: imputerate
Subject: Re: installed 22.1-0ubuntu4~feisty1, should i remove /etc/emacs21/site-start.d
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 15:11:03 -0700 (PDT)

If emacs 22 is from a deb package, yes, you should be able to expect it
will find the correct init files. Folow Pete's suggestions to verify.

SINCE this was a newbie-friendly synaptic upgrade, i guess it was a deb
package, and, yes, as Pete's load-path trace suggests, emacs found its way.

> Anyway, it seems that Ubuntu linux is buggy when it can't remove what  it
> has installed before. A bug report seems to be recommended.

This may not be a bug. I'm assuming that ubuntu follows the Debian policy
(I run Debian and have never run ubuntu). One of the nice things about the
Debian approach is that you can have multiple versions of emacs installed
at the same time. I currently have deb packages for emacs 21 and emacs 22
and a recent emacs CVS snampshot of 22.1.50.1.

RE: site-start.d files: these are the ones on the ubuntu box:

/etc/emacs/site-start.d

/etc/emacs/site-start.d/00debian-vars.el

/etc/emacs/site-start.d/50dictionaries-common.el

/etc/emacs21/site-start.d

/etc/emacs21/site-start.d/20gnus-init.el

/etc/emacs22/site-start.d

/etc/emacs22/site-start.d/00debian-vars.elc

 NB /usr/local/etc/ is empty:

root@hodgson-desktop:/usr/local/etc# ls

root@hodgson-desktop:/usr/local/etc#

 Tim, that was an instructive tour; thanks; peter