Re: maximum buffer size exceeded

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: maximum buffer size exceeded
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 15:13:45 +0300

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 22:24:46 +0300, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> From: Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null>
>> Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 18:18:03 +1000
>>
>> If your  running on a 32 bit machine, I think your out of luck. You cannot
>> increase the maximum buffer size. Under Emacs, I *think* you are limited to
>> a maximum integer you can represent with 28 bits.
>
> 29
>
>> If your on a 64 bit system, its the maximum you can represent with
>> 62 bits.
>
> 61
>
> (It's the size of an int minus 3.)

Hi Eli,

this is probably a silly question to ask, because I don't know the
internals of Emacs so well; it's just a thought which I had though.

Are there plans to make the buffer size use one of the types with "at
least X bits", like uint32_t or uint64_t?  Do you think there is a good
reason *not* to do this (i.e. an absurd performance penalty on some of
the supported platforms)?

- Giorgos