Re: elisp - introspection - find all functions matching a certain string

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: elisp - introspection - find all functions matching a certain string
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 09:28:06 +0200

Hi,

,----[ C-h f apropos-internal RET ]
| apropos-internal is a built-in function in `C source code'.
| (apropos-internal REGEXP &optional PREDICATE)
|
| Show all symbols whose names contain match for REGEXP.
| If optional 2nd arg PREDICATE is non-nil, (funcall PREDICATE SYMBOL) is done
| for each symbol and a symbol is mentioned only if that returns non-nil.
| Return list of symbols found.
`----

As you can see, it's defined in the C source code.

Regarding your original problem, you can also use this function:

(defun matching-functions (regexp)
  (let (commands)
    (mapatoms (lambda (a)
                (if (and (functionp a)
                         (string-match regexp (symbol-name a)))
                    (push (symbol-name a)
                          commands))))
    (sort commands 'string-lessp)))

Bye,
Tassilo
--
If programmers deserve to  be rewarded for creating innovative programs,
by the same  token they deserve to be punished if  they restrict the use