Re: Building 22.1

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: Building 22.1
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 01:29:45 +0300

On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 09:37:35 +0100, "Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Done! Built.
> (But in my /temp directory).
> It was the missing packages it would seem.
> Thanks for the hints.
>
> What's the 'normal' location for it please?
> I.e. where should I build it for emacs to be in it's normal home?
> Ubuntu 7 OS.

There's no "normal" location.  You can pick any place that suits your
preference.

Having said that, I like being able to keep my 'testing' versions of GNU
Emacs in a separate place, so I can easily remove and archive them.

I commonly keep a fairly recent build of GNU Emacs in `/opt/emacs',
which has been compiled and installed with:

    ./configure --prefix='/opt/emacs' && \
    make bootstrap && \
    make install

Then, I may have a few more copies in `/opt/emacs-22-safe' (where I keep
the last version of GNU Emacs which worked without any major issues for
me) or `/opt/emacs-22-port', where I install CVS snapshots when I am
trying to update the editors/emacs-devel port of FreeBSD.

This means that I have to add the appropriate directories to my $PATH,
of course.  My default $PATH contains:

  ( /sbin /bin /usr/sbin /usr/bin /usr/games /opt/emacs/bin
    /home/keramida/bin /usr/local/bin /usr/X11R6/bin )

When I want to "switch" to a different Emacs version, I replace the
`/opt/emacs/bin' part of my $PATH with another directory and I'm set.

- Giorgos