Re: emacs 22.1 install on Ubuntu 7.04, 'Feisty Fawn'

From: Dave Pawson
Subject: Re: emacs 22.1 install on Ubuntu 7.04, 'Feisty Fawn'
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 11:02:32 +0100

Offlist, I've wasted enough list bandwidth.

On 09/09/2007, Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> wrote:

> As a useful tip, you would have been able to identify many of these and the
> correct Debian/Ubuntu package names by having a look at the dependencies
> for emacs21 using something like aptitude, semantic or even dselect.

Caveat? Had I ever heard of any of those applications?
I've used semantic today for the first time. Only when I go to mark a package
for install does it tell me what else it needs to do?
IIRC yum has an option to ask what depends on this package etc.
I guess these are similar tools. I'll have a look, thanks.

 Also,
> when using lets say aptitude, installing a runtime library also usually
> suggests or ecommends the dev version of that library. The other package
> management tools also do this.

I found that the other way round too. I was looking for the -dev
packages and the main package was a dependency on that.

> > Issues.
> >
> > libfig and libungif seemed to cause some contention.
> > No idea what they are.
>
> Start aptitude, search for libungif by hitting / and entering the search
> string. When you get the package, hit enter and you will get an explination
> of what the package is, a list of packages it depends on a list of packages
> which depend on it and some recommendations and/or suggestions of other
> packages to install. Package management is probably the greatest advantage
> of Debian based distros over RPM - learn its tools and save yourself lots
> of wasted time.

Its reported that yum, and its gui front end friends, are catching up.
Hey, I haven't used anything like aptitude for years! Fast isn't it.
Seems it provides more info than semantic too! Thanks.

> > Building, for a graphical interface. As root.
> >

> This has nothing to do with building emacs. Learn about X, read about the
> differences between su and su -, read about Xauth and your .Xauthority file
> and all will be clearer.

You a librarian by any chance Time <grin/>
bugger keeps telling me to read stuff!

> > Seems to put it into /usr/local/bin
> >

> Your life was made much much more difficult because you missed the most
> important step that would have saved you days.
>
> Inbetween the gunzip and configure steps, you need to add
>
> read the README file in the root of the src tree
> read the INSTALL file in the root of the src tree

Ouch. Yes teach.

> Also, note that the only stage which is likely to need root privs is the
> make install. The rest can and should be done as a normal user, not root.

Yes, that was/is sound advice.
(quick search of README and INSTALL, no mention of root privileges)

> having done that, you would probably have built emacs on the second attempt
> - the first attempt at running configure wold have alerted you to missing
> libraries.
Had I been able to translate the missing 'stuff'. Any idea what those names
are please? Missing header files, object files... something else?
Clearly they aren't distro X package names.

 Armed with the crucial information form the INSTALL and README
> files, you would have understood what configure was telling you and known
> what you needed to install. As you are new to Debian/Ubuntu, it may have
> taken a bit of time to work out how to use the package management support
> and find the packages you needed, but once you had done that, a re-run of
> configure, followed by make and then make install would have worked fine.

You may have gathered, patience is not one of my virtues.

Many thanks for the advice Tim.
Much appreciated.

regards

--