RE: Problem binding f5 when using Icicles

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Problem binding f5 when using Icicles
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 15:58:37 -0700

> > I have long used the key f5 to mean delete-other-windows(). But when I
> > use icicles it overrides f5. I tried global-unset-key plus set-key but
> > does not get rid of this overriding. How can I take back control over
> > f5?
>
> I think I solved this by putting this *before* the (require 'icicles) line
> in my .emacs:
>
> (setq icicle-bind-top-level-commands-flag nil)

Yes, that option prevents Icicles from binding any top-level commands. You can
also use Customize to set it. As the doc says:

 "If you change this from t to nil, then you must restart Emacs for it
 to take effect.  Going from nil to t requires no restart.

 For this option to have an effect upon startup, it must be set before
 you enter Icicle mode.  This means that you must ensure that the code
 that sets it is invoked before you enter Icicle mode.  If you use
 Customize to change this option, then ensure that the code inserted by
 Customize into your `user-init-file' or your `custom-file' is invoked
 before you enter Icicle mode."