customizing fill paragraph command in emacs latex mode

From: pawelg
Subject: customizing fill paragraph command in emacs latex mode
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 11:11:37 -0700 (PDT)

Hi

I need help in customizing fill paragraph action (M-q shortkey) in emacs
latex mode.
In latex I use my own environment, of the form

\beq{a_string}
\eeq

as abbreviation of the regular equation environment,

\begin{equation}
\label{a_string}
\end{equation}

My question is how to make fill paragraph (M-q) command to recognize that
"\beq{a_string}" is beginning of a new paragraph, like \begin{equation}?
I want to avoid inlining this environment with the previous paragraph.

I experimented with "setq paragraph-start" in .emacs, but I was unsuccesful.

Best regards,

PawelG