Re: Getting Number of CPU(-core)s and giving it as the --jobs argument t

From: Michael Trausch
Subject: Re: Getting Number of CPU(-core)s and giving it as the --jobs argument to GNU Make
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 02:30:53 -0400

Dieter Wilhelm, on 09/11/2007 04:20 PM said:

> That's a bit confusing, I thought I had *one* processor with *two*
> cores and the content in /proc/cpuinfo claims two processor, 0 and 1
> with two cores, respectively, where am I wrong?

That's the way it shows up - it's a dual core processor, and the
information is the same for them except for the core number.  If you had
two dual core CPUs in your system, you would see four entires in
/proc/cpuinfo.  This is normal, because a dual core system (mostly)
performs just as a dual processor system would.  It's more or less like
having two CPUs.

In fact, many utilities and programming languages will even say that you
have two CPUs when you really only have one dual-core CPU.

That having been said, the only cross-platform method I know of for
finding the number of cores (processors) on a system would be in
.NET/Mono, since that works whereever there is an implmementation of
.NET.  Other than that, the only way that I know is to look in the
/proc/cpuinfo file on Linux.

        -- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch                                http://www.trausch.us/
Pidgin 2.1.1 and plugins for Ubuntu Feisty!