Re: managing buffers

From: Rainer Stengele
Subject: Re: managing buffers
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 15:40:48 +0200

Daniel C. Bastos schrieb:
> How do you guys manage your buffers? I'm currently using cycle-buffer.el
> and I attach the non-permissive functions to [f1] and [f2] and then I go
> back and forth between buffers with these keys, which is fast and nice.
>
> It's nice to be able to go back to the last buffer you were in, but
> sometimes you have too many buffers open and you know which one you
> want, so you don't want to search your ring of buffers one by one. For
> that I usually C-x b and use TAB to complete my buffer name.
>
> I usually use the GNU emacs on terminals, not on X, so speedbar is not
> really helpful there. Besides, I rather leave the mouse aside. So
> although I have an okay buffer management, I sometimes feel it could be
> better; so I was wondering how you guys do it.

I am very glad with this:

(require 'bs)
(global-set-key "\C-x\C-b" 'bs-show)

;; invoke buffer-list with C-F11
(global-set-key [(control f11)] 'bs-show)

and this:

;; M-F12 opens a buffer that contains the recent opened buffers
;;recentf
(require 'recentf)
(recentf-mode 1)
(setq recentf-max-saved-items 500)
(setq recentf-max-menu-items 60)
(global-set-key [(control f12)] 'recentf-open-files)

rainer