Re: Abbrev-mode question

From: Leschinsky Oleg
Subject: Re: Abbrev-mode question
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 11:23:34 +0300

Evening, Stefan Monnier.

Stefan Monnier 16:04 12/9/2007 wrote:

 SM> Currently, abbrevs work by extracting the word before point and
 SM> looking it up in a hash-table, so it does not get noticeably slower in
 SM> the presence of many abbrevs.

Somehow XEmacs don't become much slower. Maybe its because multi-language
nature of text (see below).

>> As this is for text in natual language, abbrevs start and end on
>> word boundaries.

 SM> I did understand that your abbrev expansions are natural language, but
 SM> it wasn't obvious that you chose to name your abbrevs in a similar
 SM> way.

>> 5 words is a limit.

 SM> Would it be OK to add a constraint such as that words in an abbrev
 SM> need to be connected with hyphens?  And if you have an abbrev
 SM> "foo-bar", would it be OK for it *not* to be expanded in a case like
 SM> "toto-foo-bar"?

I have better (I think) constraint: abbrevs consist of english words when
all other words are ukrainian/russian (cyrillic). So only  several words
before point consisting of [a-zA-Z- ] need expanding as abbrevs.

I'm using XEmacs/Emacs to translate text from english to ukrainian/russian,
so abbrev mode plays role of dictionary for terminology.  Is there another
tool for this task (automagic replacing of terms by their translation) that
I don't know about?