wdired - move and new dir

From: knubee
Subject: wdired - move and new dir
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 03:59:34 -0700

There are times when we want to move/rename files to a directory that
does not yet exist.

Example: move /dir1/foo.tex  -> /NEWDIR/foo.tex

However, if we are in /dir1 the following does the standard thing in
wdired:

R foo.tex -.> /NEWDIR

In other words, I will now have /NEWDIR as a file with the contents of
foo.tex (since I have told wdired to rename foo.tex to NEWDIR in the
directory above its current location).

What I want is to avoid the double work of creating a bunch of
directories first and then moving files to them with R. Rather, is
there some existing command in wdired that will expect that if I am
moving a file, that a) I am not changing the name of the moved file,
but b) the destination argument is a non-existent directory that
should be created (and the moved file should be put within it)?

Sorry if this is obvious, but I didn't see anything like this in the
documentation and searches I did.

thanks for any pointers.