Re: SVN update in GNU Emacs 22.1.50

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: SVN update in GNU Emacs 22.1.50
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 23:46:36 +0200

Mathias Megyei <mathias@mnet-mail.de> writes:

> Peter Dyballa writes:
>  > Hello!
>  >
>  > I was trying to update a software by SVN. I launched GNU Emacs with -
>  > Q and issued
>  >
>  >    M-x load-library RET vc RET
>  >

Unnecessary.

>  > Then I issued
>  >
>  >    M-x load-library RET vc-svn RET

Unnecessary.

>  > Then I opened in dired the directory tree to update the software. I
>  > tried
>  >
>  >    M-x vc-svn- TAB
>  >
>  > and received the answer
>  >
>  >    [No match]
>  >
>  > What am I doing wrong? Assuming that vc-svn.el is providing
>  > interactive commands in the kind of cvs-up?
>
> IIRC the cvs-* dosn't work in dired buffer (which is bad,
> IMHO). Perhaps the same is true for the svn-* functions.
>
> Try to open  a file under version control and start svn-*
> functions in that buffer.

Huh? vc-svn does not contain user-accessible functions as far as I
know.  The whole point of VC is to hide the particular version control
system from the user and give a unique interface for version control.

Try opening a file in a Subversion work directory, and Emacs should
_know_ what version it corresponds to (see the mode line).  And try
C-x v C-h to get a list of VC commands.