doc-view: Document quality and find-file

From: Amy Templeton
Subject: doc-view: Document quality and find-file
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 11:17:30 -0400

Hi all,

I'm a student, and I've been making lots of use of the new doc-view PDF
viewer since the year started. (I'd been hoping for an Emacs PDF reader for
a while, because trying to look at xpdf and Emacs at the same time is kind
of annoying, especially when trying to, well, do anything (xpdf is fine, of
course--just another application to deal with, and which pops up
windows...)) The searching-within-a-PDF function is particularly useful, but
the whole thing makes things more convenient.

Anyway, I have a couple of questions.

(1)  Is there any way to increase the image quality? The letters of the PDF
     files seem to end up somewhat butchered, making some hard to read. (I am
     reading in English, if that information comes in handy.)

(2)  When using "M-x doc-view" to find a file, Emacs tries very hard to
     ignore PDF files and will actually just complete around them when doing
     this (i.e., if a directory contains a PDF file and another directory
     and I press <TAB>, it'll just complete the directory without popping up
     a completions buffer, per the standard behavior of find-file). Though
     this behavior is normally beneficial, has anyone come up with a hack to
     circumvent it when using doc-view in particular?

Thanks to Tassilo Horn for writing this package and to the folks whom I've
seen contributing on this list!

Thanks,
Amy

--
By golly, I'm beginning to think Linux really *is* the best thing since
sliced bread.