voice recognition by emacs

From: David R
Subject: voice recognition by emacs
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 12:00:39 +0100

Hi,
I am doing editing work on files which have thousands of normal words, like proof-reading journalism in LaTex, not C code or serious programming.

What I want is a voice recognition system which will run on cygwin winXP. I have found lots of programming voice macros, the most used of which seem to be voice commander created of Hans van Dam. This seems operate along the principle that I say "move cursor next paragraph" "perl-mode" and emacs responds to the commands, but i understand that great advancements have been made in recent years with speech synthesis and recognition software.

It seems obvious to me that some academic researchers would have used emacs. Is there no project on emacswiki or open source project like this?

I understand that emacspeak is designed to describe screen content, not to type on a screen the words which are being said. I can't compile emacspeak because I don't seem to have a c++ compiler as part of gcc on cygwin : and it is doubtful that doing so would assist me greatly anyway.

Anyway, any pointers in a useful direction would be appreciated.

David R