Re: Separate bindings for the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl-i and TAB.

From: Johan Bockgård
Subject: Re: Separate bindings for the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl-i and TAB.
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 20:23:26 +0200

Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@math.ntnu.no> writes:

> In X11 the <tab> key is, by default, mapped to the TAB character
> (ASCII 9).  This is done in function-key-map, so to map <tab> and C-i
> to different keys, the sensible ting would be to remove the <tab>
> translation from function-key-map, then rebind it to whatever you
> wish.  Note, however, that since function-key-map is a global map,
> applied before any other key processing, this will have side effects
> in /every/ mode, not just where you wanted separate definitions.  You
> could circumvent this in various hackish ways, I suppose

The entry in function-key-map doesn't have to be removed. You can bind
<tab> directly.

     Entries in `function-key-map' are ignored if they conflict with
     bindings made in the minor mode, local, or global keymaps. The
     intent is that the character sequences that function keys send
     should not have command bindings in their own right--but if they
     do, the ordinary bindings take priority.

(info "(elisp)Translation Keymaps")

--
Johan Bockgård