Re: Emacs documentation sources

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs documentation sources
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 22:17:40 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>
>> Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 08:17:13 +0200
>>
>> Do you really claim the ephemeral size of the help buffer to be an
>> important consideration concerning the size of DOC strings?
>
> Do you really claim that the size of DOC strings is of no concern at
> all?

Since they reside in the .elc files and/or the DOC file and are only
ever loaded into memory temporarily when they are actually consulted,
they take up only disk space, not main memory.  Just like the manual.

So yes, I disagree with the following claim of you that you made in
the thread and seemingly already forgot:

    Doc strings not always target newbies, because they cannot be too
    wordy (due to considerations of memory footprint of the running
    Emacs).

The memory footprint of the running Emacs is not affected by DOC
strings since DOC strings from byte-compiled or preloaded files are
not kept in memory.