Re: Why is MIME hard?

From: Dmitri Minaev
Subject: Re: Why is MIME hard?
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 12:17:37 +0500

On 9/27/07, Girish Kulkarni <geeree@gmail.com> wrote:
> I know this has been asked here many times before, but I'd be glad if
> someone explains in a less esoteric manner.

I'll take the opportunity to add a couple of questions :).

In the last couple of weeks, I've been playing with Wanderlust. It
supports MIME using FLIM and SEMI libraries. My impressions are
positive as of yet, in spite of the discouraging complexity of the
whole set of packages, but I had some problems with MIME messages.

Say, I receive a message with the following MIME structure (as seen in mutt):

1 <no description>                 [multipa/alternativ, 7bit, 9.0K]
2 ├─><no description>        [text/plain, quoted, koi8-r, 0.8K]
3 └─><no description>        [text/html, quoted, koi8-r, 7.9K]
4 image001.jpg                        [image/jpeg, base64, 104K]

First, the message was retrieved partially, but later I re-fetched it
completely and the cached copy is complete. However, Wanderlust shows
only parts 1, 1.1 and 1.2. Part 2 is not seen. Is this a bug in FLIM
or am I missing something?

Another message, which I wrote in WL, looks like this (irrelevant
headers omitted):

=====================

Спасибо.
=====================

When I open this message in WL, the actual text is simply missing.
Could it be because of the wrong Content-Transfer-Encoding? How do I
fix it?

Emacs: "GNU Emacs 23.0.0.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll
bars) of 2007-08-13 on cera"
Wanderlust: "Wanderlust/2.14.0 (Africa)"
FLIM: Version 1.14.6 (Marutamachi)
SEMI: Version 1.14.6 (Maruoka)
APEL: Version 10.7

Thank you.