Re: Help with window management

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Help with window management
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 23:18:33 +1000

cleansing_flame <firedrake85@gmail.com> writes:

> How can I, while still in a an emacs file, cut myself a buffer/window so that
> I can write in the command line and for example compile the program I'm
> working on.
>
> Any help really appreciated

Not really clear what you mean/want.

Are you  running under X? What Window manager are you using?

Have you had a look at the commands for splitting the current frame,
creating new frames etc? There are also commands for opening buffers in
'other window', running commands in 'other window' etc. These generally
split the current window into two and then do something in one of the
windows, such as open a terminal, run a command and display output etc.

Options also depend on what you are programming in. For example, if I'm
doing C, I use M-x compile, which will run my make file, split the window
into two and  show me the errors, which I can vieew - hitting C-x ` will
jump to the next error and put the cursor on the source line. There are
additional enhancements available in other packages, such as
mode-compile.el.

Other modes provide varying levels of integration and interfaces - jde
offers a bean shell, cperl offers interfaces to mode-complie, useful for
syntax checking, running the debugger and profiling.

The short answer to your question is that what you are after probably
exists, but more information is required to give more precise/useful
advice.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au