elisp, replace-regexp and re-search-forward

From: Seweryn Kokot
Subject: elisp, replace-regexp and re-search-forward
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 07:56:54 +0000 (UTC)

Hello,

I try to write a function that operate on a region and which inserts a newline
between each line, for example.
   from:
aaa
bbb
ccc
   to:
aaa

bbb

ccc
-------

My first attempt is the following function which does the job
(defun my-test (beg end)
  (interactive "r")
  (replace-regexp "\n" "\n\n" nil beg end))

however in Emacs help for replace-regexp I see that it is not good to use
replace-regexp function. Instead it is recommended to use re-search-forward and
replace-match. So I try with such a function, but it does not work.

(defun my-test-two (beg end)
  (interactive "r")
    (while (re-search-forward "\n" end t)
      (replace-match "\n\n" nil nil)))