Re: Problems with catch and throw

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Problems with catch and throw
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 02:59:18 -0400

In article <87myuy26tn.fsf@baldur.tsdh.de>,
 Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I use a home-brewn function [1] instead of `execute-extended-command'
> most of the time.  It uses `read-from-minibuffer' to get a command
> abbrev from the user and then executes the command whose abbreviation
> was given.
>
> Now I'd like to bind TAB in my function so that it aborts
> `read-from-minibuffer' and my function and falls back to
> `execute-extended-command' where the current minibuffer contents are
> inserted as initial input.
>
> That sounds like a good candidate for catch/throw to me.  A minimal
> working example is:

> (catch 'foo
>   (read-from-minibuffer "test: " nil
>                         (let ((map (copy-keymap minibuffer-local-map)))
>                           (define-key map "\C-i" (lambda ()
>                                                    (interactive)
>                                                    (throw 'foo
>                                 (minibuffer-contents))))
>                           map)))
>
> Hit `C-j' after the last closing paren and type "foobar" at the "test: "
> prompt.  The form's result is "foobar" then.
>
> So now here's my function with this mechanism applied.  But it doesn't
> work like the minimal example.  (minibuffer-contents) always returns the
> empty string "".  Why is that?

The problem isn't with minibuffer-contents, it's with

(message "cont = " (minibuffer-contents))

The first argument to message is a format string, and the remaining
arguments will be substituted for the % codes in the string.  Since you
don't have any % codes, it never displays the minibuffer contents.  So
that should be:

(message "cont = %s" (minibuffer-contents))

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA