Re: emacs -nw conflicts with (set-foreground-color "xxx")

From: sigma . sullivan
Subject: Re: emacs -nw conflicts with (set-foreground-color "xxx")
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 04:27:53 -0000

On Oct 8, 2:44 pm, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
>         M-x list-colors-display RET

Peter,

Thanks for the tip.  I tried list-colors-display in "emacs -nw" and
got the following 8 colors:
black, red, green, yellow, blue, magenta, cyan, white

This is odd, since I know the konsole can display far more colors than
that.
For example, if I put in my .emacs file
    (set-background-color "yellow")
    (set-foreground-color "black")
then when I run "emacs -nw" the background is a dark brown-orange, and
the foreground text is black.  xmag shows the background to be
#b26818.
This can make it difficult to read the text.

If I use
    (set-background-color "green")
    (set-foreground-color "red")
then the colors I actually end up with, according to xmag, are
background #18b218 and foreground #b21818.

Does this make any sense?  How can I get rid of the color
modification?

Many thanks,

Steve