display-time-string-forms

From: Sean Sieger
Subject: display-time-string-forms
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 19:11:55 -0400

With M-x apropos display-time, I found the variable and its
documentation, but I don't know elisp.  I was hoping there was some
information in the manual, but no.

Is there a little something I can put in my ~/.emacs to get the form:

yyyymmdd hh:mm

when I toggle fullscreen?  This is what I have there so far:

(defun switch-full-screen ()
  (interactive)
  (shell-command "wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -btoggle,fullscreen"))
(global-set-key [f11] 'switch-full-screen).

By doing f11, I would now have in my mode line:

20071009 7:10PM

Oh, shoot, in a closely related subject, once I go to fullscreen and
evaluate, in my document, (setq left-margin-width 30) I then do C-x C-b
and f to get back to the document and its updated margin.  Is that nuts
and is there a `real' way to do it?