Re: Reading/Managing mail with emacs

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Reading/Managing mail with emacs
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 11:54:00 +1000

jadamson@partners.org (Joel J. Adamson) writes:

> Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:
>
>> On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 09:43:22AM +0100, Andrew Walrond wrote:
>>> So, a quick google reveals VM as the front runner for email. Am I right?
>>> Any gotchas or missing features to be aware of?
>
> A missing feature: somebody told me it's not being maintained.

Then they were wrong. It is being actively maintained. In fact, it is
seeing a bit of revitalisation as some nice new features are being added.

The new maintainer is Robert Widhopf-Fenk. See
http://www.nongnu.org/viewmail/ for more details.

> A gotcha: convert once locked up my computer completely while trying
> to view a mail with attachments.

There were some issues with the mime converters, particularly under Debian
for some reason, that would see load go through the roof and your system
become non-responsive. the solution is to use the perl modules  to do the
mime conversion stuff rather than the old mime decoders that come with VM.

> VM was great with XEmacs, when I switched to Emacs, everything went
> all screwy.

Not sure what the issue would have been there. I've never run XEmacs and
have had no other problems other than the one mentioned above and a problem
with accessing attachments in messages composed with Apple Mail. both
problems are now resolved. Robert has improved the MIME stuff and is
working to clean up the code base and add new features (many of the ones
which use to be in his 'vmrfaddons' package are now part of the latest
version.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au