Re: overwrite yank

From: Joe Bloggs
Subject: Re: overwrite yank
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 22:45:23 +0100

>> > Hi, I'm sure this is really simple, but I can't find the answer
>> > anywhere.  How can I overwrite from the copy buffer?  I've tried
>> > yanking in overwrite-mode but that doesn't work, it just inserts as
>> > normal, whereas I want to overwrite.  Thanks.
>>
>>  Please try "delete-selection-mode" but from your description I'm not
>>  quite sure that this is what you want.
>
> No, it won't do what he's asking. I don't know of anything, offhand, that
> will. Perhaps someone here will provide some code to do it, as a fun
> exercise.
>
> Joe: Out of curiosity, just why do you want to do that?
Hi, sorry I have been so slow to reply to this thread.
I can't remember exactly what it was I was doing, but I think it was some data
manipulation. I needed to replace specific parts of several different lines
with one specific part from some other line, all parts being the same length.
The job was small enough not to warrant using sed, awk or perl, but a bit of a
hassle to have to do lots of deletions or find-replaces. It seemed to me that
this feature would/should have been implemented and I might need it again in
the future.