Re: Is transient-mark-mode for newbies?

From: Johan Bockgård
Subject: Re: Is transient-mark-mode for newbies?
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 10:36:15 +0200

Mathias Dahl <brakjoller@gmail.com> writes:

> Well, that's the thing, I don't want to have to do any of those
> tricks, C-g, M-w or whatever, to get rid of it.  I guess I want it to
> magically guess when I want it active, and that is quite hard. So I
> keep transient-mark-mode off.

I use temporary transient mark mode for mark commands

    (progn
      '#1=((after transient-mark activate)
           "Activate Transient Mark mode temporarily."
           (setq transient-mark-mode 'only))
      (defadvice mark-sexp              . #1#)
      (defadvice mark-word              . #1#)
      (defadvice mark-paragraph         . #1#)
      (defadvice mark-defun             . #1#)
      (defadvice mark-end-of-sentence   . #1#)
      (defadvice mark-page              . #1#)
      (defadvice mark-whole-buffer      . #1#)

      (defadvice LaTeX-mark-environment . #1#)
      (defadvice LaTeX-mark-section     . #1#))

The mark commands set the mark at a place away from point, and
highlighting shows more clearly what's going on. Especially in Emacs 22,
where repeating a mark command extends the region.

--
Johan Bockgård