Re: color depth on Windows

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: color depth on Windows
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 09:29:56 +0200

On Thu, Oct 18 2007, Juanma Barranquero wrote:

> On 10/18/07, Maciej <mkalisiak@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Afterthought: I really wish one of the opening screens of Emacs made
>> mention to the missing graphics libraries, in bold/red.  IMHO it is a
>> general expectation for programs to "just work" right out-of-the -box
>> in Windows (whether this ideal is reached is another story), and
>> properly colored toolbar icons would seem like a standard/necessary
>> feature of any Windows program.  As such, this lack of the XPM library
>> causes the default Emacs binary to be not fully functional, and it
>> would thus make sense to alert the user of the problem, and how to
>> solve it (in a more explicit/direct way than an optional README file).
>
> I suggest you send that as a bug / feature request (with M-x
> report-emacs-bug).

There has been a discussion on including the DLLs in the next
emacs-22.*-bin-i386.zip file in July, see
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.bugs/15799/focus=74093>.  I don't
know about the plans of Jason (IIRC, he has built the Windows
binaries), i.e. if he wants to provide "emacs-22.1-a-bin-i386.zip"
(including image DLLs) or do this for Emacs 22.2.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)