Re: How big is the "niche" of Emacs users?

From: Richard G Riley
Subject: Re: How big is the "niche" of Emacs users?
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 14:45:19 +0200

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:
>
>>> Then I started to figure out how large is this "niche".
>>
>> I don't know how large it is. But we had an interesting thread some 10
>> months ago. It was named "How old are Emacs users" or something like
>> that. Many people answered and told us how they came to use Emacs and
>> for what purposes. It doesn't seem a small nice to me after this
>> thread. It must still be in the archive.
>
> Thanks, I'll check this.

I do wonder how many are actively using it for development of C/PHP etc
though. I can just about get by with it using a few add ons like ecb and
php-mode, but they are pretty poor by the standards of IDEs like Eclipse
I'm sorry to say. Of course what they lack in features is made up for in
the power given to other peripheral tasks by emacs in the development
phase. In particular I have found any form of mixed mode programming to
be very patchy indeed (e.g html and php in one file).