Re: Emacs bindings in other programs

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: Emacs bindings in other programs
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 17:29:57 -0700

On Oct 26, 9:33 am, YSK <koyf...@gmail.com> wrote:
«getting all other programs in my Linux PC to work with Emacs
keybindings (particularly the navigation ones, C-e, C-a, C-n, C-p,
C-k).»

ouch, i don't think that's a good thing to do, once this subject is
thought about.

pls see:

· Why Emacs's Keyboard Shortcuts Are Painful
http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_kb_shortcuts_pain.html

it would be better, to design a ergonomic shortcut for cursor
navigation, then make all your other appl to be like that.

here's my emacs one:

· A Ergonomic Keyboard Shortcut Layout For Emacs
http://xahlee.org/emacs/ergonomic_emacs_keybinding.html

but on your question... if you are on mac os x, it by default supports
emacs's shortcuts for cursor movement.

And, on os x, you can change it system-wide to other shortcuts by
using the
DefaultKeyBinding.dict

see for example:
http://xahlee.org/emacs/DefaultKeyBinding.dict

On linux, am not sure xmodmap would do it. But here's my old xmodmap
for doing dvorak on linux, which i haven't used since 2002.

· Dvorak keymap for xmodmap
http://xahlee.org/PageTwo_dir/Personal_dir/dvorakKeymap.txt

and on Windows i know at least QuickKeys ...

  Xah
  xah@xahlee.org
  http://xahlee.org/