Re: emacsclient with emacs-23.0.60

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: emacsclient with emacs-23.0.60
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 11:29:28 +0100

Am 29.10.2007 um 09:12 schrieb Thierry Volpiatto:

is not working only in this special case:

when i call it from my python app throught the mailcap module.

Could be there is something with missing environment variables ...

A simple 'strings `which emacsclient`' reveals:

        ALTERNATE_EDITOR
        DISPLAY
        EMACS_SERVER_FILE
        HOME
        LOGNAME
        TERM
        USER

USER, LOGNAME, DISPLAY are important. Can you launch a simple shell script instead of emacsclient that just records the environment variables it sees inside Python? Like:

        #!<path to your login shell>
        env | sort -o /tmp/EnvironmentAsSeenFromWithinPython$$

Then compare this with that which a regular shell or GNU Emacs' *shell* buffer has.

And in the next round: make that shell script replace the utility that would be determined by the mailcap file – I have no idea why you mention this, because mailcap names a "proxy" to handle a particular data type. Does this "proxy" application launch and for which data type does it launch? Or do you mean that you have extended mailcap to use emacsclient for some data type(s)? Then it would be easy to substitute "emacsclient" with "shell script name" for a test and all is done.

--
Greetings

  Pete

There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.
                                         - Jeremy S. Anderson