Text-Mode for a beginner

From: John O'Connor
Subject: Text-Mode for a beginner
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:29:47 -0400

Apologies if my question is of insufficiently cosmic importance. I am
trying to figure out how to make Emacs behave more like a modern editor
in its handling of paragraphs. What I mean by that is that I want to be
able to (as I do in, say, OpenOffice) type an entire paragraph without
having to put a newline at the end of every line. I know that
auto-fill-mode accomplishes this somewhat, but it has the unfortunate
side effect of inserting newlines everywhere, and when I paste my text
into OOo the line lengths will not conform to the width of the page. I
could just learn to live with the poor word wrap in the fundamental
mode, but then it's difficult to C-p or C-n through the paragraphs. Is
there a modern-text-mode or something like that? Thanks very much for
your help.

-Jack O'Connor