Holding Ctrl + f/b/p/n/etc. randomly prints the character

From: Matthew Crisanti
Subject: Holding Ctrl + f/b/p/n/etc. randomly prints the character
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 16:51:32 -0500

Whenever I hold down ctrl and f, for example, the caret will move forward how one would expect, but after moving 15 or so spaces it inserts an 'f' or two, then continues moving the caret forward while continuously adding 'f's at random intervals until I let go. This also happens with ctrl + b,n,p,v, and others, I'm sure. This is not only annoying, but also dangerous to my code, as sometimes I don't even notice when a character gets inserted until I try to compile. I'm assuming this is a common problem, since this happens to me both in gentoo and ubuntu, but I couldn't seem to come up with the correct search string in google to find the answer. I would really appreciate any help.