Re: Emacs bindings in other programs

From: Amy Templeton
Subject: Re: Emacs bindings in other programs
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 14:16:39 -0400

Martin Rubey <axiomize@yahoo.de>
> John <jmg3000@gmail.com> writes:
> > I know what you mean. Frequently I go from Emacs to, say, Firefox, and
> > accidentally hit Emacs keys causing FF to try and print pages, open
> > new windows, select all, and so on.

I'd highly recommend Firemacs, which sets up (customizable) Emacs-like
keybindings for Firefox. I'd also recommend Conkeror for a more extreme
approach. And for editing textboxes, catching mailto: links, looking at page
source, etc., MozEx allows you to use an external program of your choice
(such as emacsclient) to do these tasks and more. Also, if you like keyboard
navigation but Conkeror is too much for you (unfortunately, since many
extensions are written such that they only work with the default Firefox
"chrome," which Conkeror takes the place of, many extensions do not play
nicely with it), you might also like Hit-a-Hint.

> What happens to me all the time is that I hit C-x b and expect emacs switch to
> the dvi or pdf viewer, or konqueror or whatever, or, if in such an
> application,
> switch back to emacs...

For DVI, PS, and PDF, there's always the new doc-view code, which I've found
*very* useful.

> I'd really love to see my x-applications "live" in an emacs buffer, but I
> was told that that's difficult. On the other hand, I saw such an item on
> the emacs ToDo list, so maybe there is hope.

You might like Ratpoison or StumpWM. They're tiling, keyboard-driven window
managers influenced by Emacs and GNU Screen. StumpWM even has an optional
mode-line, and is *very* customizable because it is written in common lisp.

Anyway, just two cents.

Amy

--
Suspicion always haunts the guilty mind.
                -- Wm. Shakespeare