hebrew in emacs

From: Eddy-14
Subject: hebrew in emacs
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 16:16:17 -0700 (PDT)

hi!
I use emacs22 in linux (ubuntu gutsy).
I have configured my keyboard to be able to write utf-8 hebrew, which works
fine in gedit for example. but it is not the case in emacs.
i made the changes proposed on various forums:
in .emacs, I added:
    (set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8)
    (set-keyboard-coding-system 'utf-8)
    (set-language-environment 'UTF-8)
(custom-set-variables
[etc]
 '(current-language-environment "UTF-8")
[etc]
 )
I created .Xdefaults:
emacs*.font: utf-8

and I installed the xfonts-intl-european package

still, in emacs, I get rectangles instead of hebrew letters.