Re: How to set a file major mode in elisp

From: Mirko
Subject: Re: How to set a file major mode in elisp
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 05:40:23 -0800

On Nov 2, 4:10 pm, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
> Am 02.11.2007 um 17:54 schrieb Mirko:
>
> > I don't want to mess with the diary file format if I can avoid it.
>
> You don't mess with the file format if you add local variables - you
> just make it clear to GNU Emacs what is obvious for you!
>
> I, for example, make clear that the diary file is in UTF-8:
>
>         ;; Local variables:
>         ;; coding: utf-8
>         ;; End:
>
> and you can add
>
>         ;; mode: diary
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>    Pete
>
> ...And always remember the last words of my grandfather, who said:
>       "A truck!"          - Emo Phillips

Well, I decided to "cheat" by using the "built-in" make-diary-entry.
This function will set-up the file mode correctly.

(defun hj-entry ()
  "Insert the jounral template into the diary file"
  (interactive)
  (let ((calendar-date-display-form '((substring monthname 0 3) " "
day ", " year)))
    (make-diary-entry (concat (calendar-date-string (calendar-current-
date))
                              " Journal: "))))

Thanks,

Mirko