Re: can't get "help"

From: Joel J. Adamson
Subject: Re: can't get "help"
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 14:33:16 -0500

"cycjec"<cycjec@yahoo.com> writes:

> Joel J. Adamson <jadamson@partners.org> wrote:
>> "cycjec"<cycjec@yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>>>  this is the emacs that's installed on a FreeBSD system.
>
>> Are you using Emacs in X, on a console, or a terminal emulator?  Which
>> version of Emacs (21, 22?)
>
>  I'm trying an older version in X, and a newer one (I think)
>  in a shell account.

You should ask them (administrators) to upgrade: Emacs 22 includes
lots of improvements.  Emacs 23 (CVS) is even sweeter.  Also, there's
really no reason to run without X, unless you are using a system
without X installed ;)

Which version of FreeBSD?  If you have your own machine, I suggest
installing Emacs and immersing yourself  in it: it's available for
many MANY operating systems, well, at least any of the three you're
likely to have ;)

>> Try f1 for help instead of C-h, your terminal may be sending C-h as
>> delete.  F1 C-f gets you the FAQ
>
>  Thank you. Thank you!
>
>  This works in the X version.
>
>  I now am perplexed at why
>  Meta-V  scrolls up but the Meta-< and Meta-> don't go to
>  the file top or end.   (It's actually the Alt-> and Alt-<
>  but the Alt-V works just fine)
>
>  I get this msg  "No M-x tags search ... in progress"

tags searching is invoked by M-.: your terminal isn't interpreting the
shift key.

I suggest looking on Emacs wiki for dealing with terminal problems, as
these are quite common complains (Emacs doesn't respect the C-h
convention, although I configured it to!).

(global-set-key "\C-h" 'help-command)

in the scratch buffer or your .emacs file will reset C-h to the help
system.  Press "C-x C-e" to evaluate the above expression.

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician