Re: hexl-mode, while saving encoding problem

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: hexl-mode, while saving encoding problem
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 16:40:24 +0100

Am 08.11.2007 um 16:03 schrieb Gelika PAPP-RAFFY:

I am editing binary files with emacs (ID3 tags in .mp3 files).
I use the hexl-mode.
When I want to save my modifications I get the question "Selet coding system" and it is asking me to choose between several like undecided-unix, mule-utf-8, etc.

There is a variable, file-coding-system-alist, that also lists file name extensions for which no-conversion is applied upon reading or writing. Obviously no-one has edited an MP3 file before, so this is not mentioned there.

It might be worth to write a bug report and ask for this enhancement.

To solve your problem now you can add to your init file this code:

        (add-to-list 'file-coding-system-alist '("\\.mp3\\'" . no-conversion))

To have it set at once put the line into the *scratch* buffer, position the cursor at its end and press C-j. Then open, edit, and save the MP3 file again.

--
Greetings

  Pete

"Isn't vi that text editor with two modes... one that beeps and one
that corrupts your file?" -- Dan Jacobson, on comp.os.linux.advocacy