Re: hexl-mode, while saving encoding problem

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: hexl-mode, while saving encoding problem
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 10:54:49 +0100

Am 09.11.2007 um 09:36 schrieb Gelika PAPP-RAFFY:

Now I have a very basic problem: My emacs installation is on a virtual
machine with no internet access, so that I can not report the bug from emacs
directly.

That does not matter! Just select the 'Send Bug Report...' entry from the Help menu and copy the contents of the newly created *mail* buffer into your eMail client's compose window. Do the same with address and subject. Then complete the message's body.

If this is to be corrected as a bug, then there should be also other
compressed audio files added to this list (I didn't try to edit them so I am not sure they would save wrongly): .wma, .aac, .m4a and probably also ogg
vorbis files, I don't know the extensions.

There is also FLAC (.flac) and SHTN (.shn) and there are many video and graphics formats. Ogg Vorbis uses .ogg, at least in those downloaded live concerts I have.

When filling out the bug report please concentrate on the failure of hexl-mode, as Stefan Monnier emphasised. IMO too this should not have happened, since no-one would edit a simple text file with an encoding as a binary in hexl-mode. So there seems to be some bug when you're asked to give some text encoding's name. Mentioning of file-coding- system-alist should not be the bug report's main concern, merely a remark describing how you solved your problem, since its purpose might be aiming towards text files.

--
Greetings

  Pete

"Let's face it; we don't want a free market economy either."
        James Farley, president, Coca-Cola Export Corp., 1959