Re: Gnu Emacs under Japanese MS Windows

From: Ben Bullock
Subject: Re: Gnu Emacs under Japanese MS Windows
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 11:40:41 +0900

"Jason Rumney" <jasonrumney@gmail.com> wrote in message 1194655392.447673.257780@v2g2000hsf.googlegroups.com">news:1194655392.447673.257780@v2g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
On 9 Nov, 21:47, "Ben Bullock" <benkasminbull...@gmail.com> wrote:

This is GNU Emacs 22.0.990.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2007-05-24 on LENNART-69DE564 (patched)

I don't see this problem in Emacs 22.1, so I suggest your first
attempt at resolving the problem should be to upgrade your old pretest
version to the released version of Emacs.

Thanks, I've upgraded the Emacs but unfortunately this new one is not quite as good as the one I removed. In fact the problems with the Japanese were solved by adding some things to .emacs:

(prefer-coding-system 'shift_jis)
(setq default-buffer-file-coding-system 'shift_jis)
(setq file-name-coding-system 'shift_jis)

(set-default-coding-systems 'shift_jis)
(set-terminal-coding-system 'shift_jis)

(set-keyboard-coding-system 'shift_jis)
(set-language-environment 'Japanese)

Now it works, although I'm not sure which bits are necessary and which aren't.