Re: rebinding ESC key

From: B. Smith-Mannschott
Subject: Re: rebinding ESC key
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 11:50:51 +0100

On Nov 10, 2007, at 22:05, Amy Templeton wrote:

I didn't grow up with it as the only option (I started using Emacs a
couple of years ago), but it has on occasion come in handy--for example,
on my school's Macs (which are the closest thing they have to a usable
computer) they do have Emacs installed--but it's version 21.3 (not even 21.4!), with no graphical support, and there's no working ALT/META key, so I have to settle for ESC. As a rule, I just try not to use the school
computers.

Mac OS X's Terminal.app provides a setting "Use option as meta key" as far back as I can remember.

This means that you can't use Mac OS option key combinations to type foreign characters but you can still insert them in emacs using an appropriate emacs input-method (I use rfc1345).

// Ben Smith-Mannschott