Re: An alternative to a monolithic ~/.emacs init file

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: An alternative to a monolithic ~/.emacs init file
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 08:56:08 +1100

rustom <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> After my last post I I looked at my current .emacs file and realised
> its more difficult than I thought:
>
> Ideally if the separate aspects of the setup I want were independent
> they could be put into separate directories and the corresponding
> loaddefs and customizations loaded in any (non-deterministic) order.
>
> However there are dependencies: eg to use python (with refactoring)
> one needs bicyclerepairman; to use brm one needs pymacs.

The common way to get around this is to number your files -
e.g. 50my-lib.el 60my-other-lib.el etc. This forces files to be loaded in a
specific order.

> What is worse there are emacs bugs whose correction needs careful
> sequencing:
> For example I need to put
> (provide 'sb-info)
> just before the brm-init otherwise I get 'recursive require' errors.
> What in the name of ... is sb-info -- thats another OT matter

I remember seeing this one when I was running CVS emacs prior to the
release of emacs 22. Its a bug from the interaction between the speedbar
installed as part of standard emacs and a free standing versions of
speedbar. I ran into this on a Debian box when I had emacs 21 and the
speedbar package installed and then installed the CVS version of emacs 22.

Note that your 'fix' i.e. putting a (provide 'sb.info) is only hiding the
problem and not actually fixing it. If your running emacs 22 and still have
a stand-alone version of speedbar installed, you could just remove the
stand-alone version.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au