Re: Gnu Emacs under Japanese MS Windows

From: Ben Bullock
Subject: Re: Gnu Emacs under Japanese MS Windows
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 18:11:24 +0900

"Jason Rumney" <jasonrumney@gmail.com> wrote in message 1194944384.261646.303620@v65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com">news:1194944384.261646.303620@v65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...

There's another setting on the third tab of that dialog. In English,
it is labelled "Language for non-Unicode programs", but that is
misleading, since it is what determines the language that is returned
from all the locale functions, whether Unicode or not. The settings on
the first page only affect things like number formatting.

In my case it looks like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bnz/2014240467/

As you can see it is set to 日本語 (Japanese). I don't believe this is because of something I have set up with just my home computer, since I have a virtually identical Windows XP computer at work, and Emacs behaves in exactly the same way there - it refuses to acknowledge the existence of any files in

C:\Documents and Settings\bkb\デスクトップ\

even though this is the directory which comes up by default when I press C-x C-f, and (without the shift-jis parts in .emacs) it mojibakes the directory names. I haven't tried using the shift-JIS thing copied from Evan Monroig's .emacs at work yet, but I am sure that Gnu Emacs behaves this way on at least two standard Japanese Windows XP PCs.