Re: adding holidays to calendar

From: Stuart McLean
Subject: Re: adding holidays to calendar
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 02:53:21 -0800

>  Hi,
>
>  I am having problems adding holidays using the variable
>  `other-holidays'. I have tried setting this in customize, using (as an
>  example) Canadian Thanksgiving. In `other-holidays' using the
>  customize interface I put:
>
>  ((holiday-float 10 1 2 "Canadian Thanksgiving")) and save. I evaluate
>  .emacs (which loads the custom file at the end) and test by entering
>  the calendar buffer and typing `h' on the 2nd Monday in October. It
>  comes up with "Columbus Day" so I assume that the regular holiday is
>  somehow clobbering the val of `other-holidays'? I still want to know
>  that it is Columbus day, however, so I don't want to remove that
>  holiday.
>
>  If I unset the variable in customize, and set `other-holidays' in my
>  .emacs, then the custom file (loaded at the end of .emacs) seems to
>  clobber the setting with nil, but setting `other-holidays' after the
>  custom file is loaded still doesn't work.
>
>  Does anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong?
>
>  Regards,
>
>  Stuart

>> Rene Borchers <rmborchers@orange.nl> writes:
>>
>> Hi Stuart,
>>
>> This works for the Dutch local holidays
>>
>> (setq other-holidays
>>       '((holiday-fixed 8 28 "Gronings Ontzet")
>>         (holiday-fixed 4 30 "Koninginnedag")
>>      (holiday-fixed 5 14 "Valentijnsdag")
>>      (holiday-fixed 10 4 "Dierendag")
>>         ;; 2e zondag in mei
>>      (holiday-float 5 7 2 "Moederdag")
>>      ;; 3e zondag in juni
>>      (holiday-float 6 7 3 "Vaderdag")
>>      ;; 3e dinsdag in september
>>      (holiday-float 9 2 3 "Prinsjesdag")
>> ))
>>
>> Rene

Thanks for replying, Rene!

If I steal some of the holidays from you, for example "Gronings Ontzet", they
show up fine. There are no other holidays on that day.
However, "Dierendag" seems to be clobbered by another holiday. I have Jewish,
Islamic, and so on holidays set using `Customize', so I thought this might be
the problem. However, unsetting these `all-hebrew-calendar-holidays' and so on
does not seem to remove the holiday in question.

As an example, "Dierendag" falls on 10 4. So does "Shemini Atzeret" which
prevents (I guess) "Dierendag" from displaying. Unsetting
`all-hebrew-calendar-holidays' does _not_ change this behaviour, i.e. `h' in a
Calendar buffer still shows "Shemini Atzeret.

I guess I must be missing something :-) but I'll have to dig further.

Regards,

Stuart